Dear Fellow DU Brothers,
I hope and trust this message finds you and your families well.
Last year, we on the Alumni Board had the unfortunate responsibility to inform you of the temporary closure of the DU House and the University’s decision to repurpose the House and its associated property. Since this time, the Alumni Board has made significant progress toward the re-opening of the House and the successful return of Delta Upsilon to Bucknell.
The following is a brief summary of some of the Board’s more significant accomplishments over the past year:
- Consistent with our stated goals of last year, the Board has grown from 9 members to a total of 19 members today. This increased participation was in direct response to our “call to action” resulting from the closure of the House.
- Working with the University, our New Building Committee is in the final stages of selecting the exterior design and location for our new House. The University currently plans to begin construction of our new House this summer and the House will be ready for occupancy in the Fall of 2017. The House will be used for University housing for the first two years with DU taking occupancy in the Fall of 2019 following Fall Rush in 2018.
- The Mission and Message Committee and the Communication Committee are working to develop a DU website that will provide greater connectivity between all of our Alumni Brothers. The website will feature the history of the House, news and events, contact information for all alumni brothers, class bulletin boards, photo archives and fundraising information. The Trumpet will also be published through the website.
- The Archival Management Committee is working to inventory all DU archives and provide safe storage for these items until we take occupancy of the new House in the Fall of 2019. It is important that we maintain the legacy of our House through the preservation of our historical artifacts.
- The Reunion Committee has organized another great Reunion Weekend event beginning at 1 PM on Saturday afternoon June 4th. The event will feature a band party for alumni, friends and family with music being provided by RT and the Earthtones.
As a Board, we continue to be humbled by the outpouring of support we have received from you – our Alumni – regarding our efforts to re-open the Chapter and re-establish DU’s presence on campus. We will be looking to you over the next year for your financial support to cover the anticipated “start up” costs associated with the House and to ensure the long term viability of DU on Bucknell’s campus.
The New Building Committee and Alumni Board would like to extend an invitation to all Alumni Brothers to join them on a tour of the newly completed fraternity buildings constructed by the University. We will gather at 11 AM Saturday June 4th in the main living room of the House and tour the recently completed Lamda Chi and KDR houses as well as reviewing the potential sites for the new DU House.
As your Alumni Board, it continues to be our privilege to work on your behalf to ensure the re-opening of our House and the successful return of Delta Upsilon to Bucknell’s campus. To this end, we would like to hear from you regarding your thoughts, concerns and wishes regarding the re-opening of DU at Bucknell. Please feel free to reach out to me or any other of the Alumni Board members listed below.
We also look forward to seeing you at this year’s Reunion Weekend band party and picnic on the rear lawn of the House beginning at 1 PM on Saturday June 4th.
John J. Zaharchuk ‘81